Please follow these steps to setup Windows Media Live Multicast:
You will need:
• Windows Media Encoder version 9. Other versions are not supported
• Windows Media Player
• Helix Server
For the purpose of this example:
1. We have assigned the following IP address to the Helix Server: 172.22.127.28, you will replace this IP address with your own ip address where the server is installed and accessible to the encoder.
2. For the Multicast address we are using 18.104.22.168. You can change this ip to your organizations Multicast ip address. It must be a valid multicast address.
3. The streaming file will be called “real.wmv” but you can name it whatever you want
4. The streaming format file will be called “multi.asf” but you can name it whatever you want
5. For channel name we are using “Channel1” but it can be anything.
6. For Source we are using “Source1” but it can be anything.
On Windows Media Encoder setup a PUSH broadcast:
- Create a new session
- Select an input
- Select an output. In the output set the following fields:
Server name: 172.22.127.28:7077
Publishing point: wmtencoder/real.wmv
- Click on apply.
- Windows encoder may pop up a window indicating that is not possible to detect the publishing point. Click ok and move on.
- Click on Start encoding.
- Verify that the streaming is being received by Helix server by looking at the monitor tool of Helix Server. (Logging and Monitoring)
- Create the streaming format file in Windows Encoder. Select tools > Generate Stream Format file
- In the window that opens, save the file as “multi.asf” in a location of your choice.
- Copy the .asf file to Helix Server under the following directory: (Assuming you have installed Helix Server with the defaults on this location)
C:\Program Files\Real\Helix Server\Content\nscfile\
- Under the menu Broadcast Distribution, select Windows Media Multicasting and do the following:
- Click the plus sign on "Channels" and set the following fields:
Channel Name: Channel1
Multicast Address: 22.214.171.124
Enable broadcast: yes
- Click the plus sign on “Channel Sources” and set the following fields:
Channel Source Name: Source1
Stream Forma File: /nscfile/multi.asf
Live Source: /wmtencoder/real.wmv
- Click Apply. After clicking apply, “Channel1” will move to Transmitting Channels and all other settings will disappear. Also if you look at the file system under /content/nscfile/ a new file will be created called: Channel1.nsc
Notice the following:
- Port 7077 is the default port on Helix Server for Windows Media Multicasting found in the Helix Administrator under Broadcasting>Windows Media Encoding.
- wmtencoder is the default mount point for Windows Media Multicasting found in the Helix Administrator under Broadcasting>Windows Media Encoding.
- Helix Server has a forward slash ( / ) before and after in the mount point, however window encoder does not need the forward slash before, only after.
- You can copy the .asf file to any location as long as you indicate the path in the Helix Server when setting up the multicast.
Open the URL with Windows Media: